MOTU Application

Julian Andres Klode jak at jak-linux.org
Wed Dec 12 14:28:16 GMT 2007

Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello Julian,
>
> On Fr, 2007-11-30 at 16:20 +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
>> I want to applicate as a MOTU.
>
> without the input of mentors it's hard to make a decision.
mvo and mrpouit both told me that they will write something.

> Obviously you've done a few uploads to Ubuntu yourself and ported a few
> Ubuntu packages to work in Debian too. I like it very much that you're
> interested in making both, Debian and Ubuntu, work.
>
> Can you tell us a bit about your work? About the nature of changes you
> did?
I started contributing to Debian in April, by maintaining aufs (Another UnionFS) [Not merged by me yet]

In may, I took over development of ndisgtk (originally written for Ubuntu by Sam Pohlenz), and started to
maintain it in Debian and Ubuntu.

In July, I did a lot of backmerging in Debian, packaging app-install-data [took-over], sexy-python and
gnome-app-install.
It was also the month I took over the development of dir2ogg and packaged it for Debian (based on mrpouit's
Ubuntu package). Since November, I maintain dir2ogg in Ubuntu, too.

Since November, I work together with mvo and a DD on getting command-not-found into Debian, in such a way that
it can be synced (it's on alioth, project name: cnf). [It just got rejected].

I try to keep the differences between the Debian and Ubuntu versions of my packages very small. There are some
differences:

differences Debian - Ubuntu:
ndisgtk     - In Debian, I use su-to-root in desktop files [because my mentor recommended it], in Ubuntu I use
              gksu/kdesu to be able to drop the "menu" dependency.
sexy-python - Changed the binary package name from sexy-python to python-sexy [Python Policy] (seems you made
              the mistake in the first upload to Ubuntu, Daniel). BTW, this could by synced now.
dir2ogg     - Differences in recommends/suggests, as some packages available in Debian main are not in Ubuntu
              universe. In Debian's 0.11-1, I switched to VCS-* and Homepage fields, but kept the old ones in
              Ubuntu because Ubuntu's dpkg did not support these at that time.
g-a-i       - Most changes have been made by glatzor, I did some fine-tuning and actually cleaned up the
              packaging. [g-a-i = gnome-app-install]

In many cases, I found the copyright file to be not suitable for Debian, because not all copyright holders
were listed or the bad license was specified [sexy-python].