Is MOTU a requirement for core-dev?

Emmet Hikory emmet.hikory at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:43:48 GMT 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 9:26 PM, Soren Hansen <soren at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> First of all, the *de facto* common path to core-dev starts with
> obtaining MOTU status. You will find very few examples in recent history
> (~hoary and onwards) of people becoming core-dev without being MOTU
> first. I can't think of any. IIRC, Timo only had about a month of being
> MOTU before he was promoted to core-dev, but that's the closest I can
> think of off the top of my head.
>
> Second of all, being MOTU gives you a subset of the privileges being
> core-dev would give you. This is a good thing, since it makes the
> process involved an iterative one, which enables us to set the bar for
> obtaining MOTU status at a level that is feasibly obtainable within a
> reasonable timeframe for a lot of people, and at the same time have a
> different (stricter) set of requirements for complete access to the
> archive.
>
> All of this is not to say that going from mere mortal directly to
> core-dev shouldn't be possible, but as you point out the burden of proof
> is significantly heavier if you don't have MOTU experience to prove that
> you are indeed familiar with our processes, traditions, etc.

    Thanks for the expanded explanation.  It appears that we're
entirely in agreement, and I just misinterpreted your earlier
statement.

> > but I don't understand why someone with a declared intention to work
> > exclusively on specific packages in Main must first be MOTU:
>
> Let me just point out that Till at some point in the thread did point
> out himself that he was applying for MOTU status, as this was unclear in
> his original e-mail. As it was his original (slightly unclear) e-mail I
> replied to, I felt it necessary to make explicit exactly what it was
> that I was giving my +1 for, namely his application to become MOTU and
> not an application to become core-dev.
>
> > Further, does any member of the MOTU Council expect that the granting
> > of MOTU will result in additional uploads to universe, or have any
> > result other than immediate reapplication for core-dev?
<...>
> I fail to see the consequence of a "yes" or "no" here.  He applied for
> MOTU status.  Which other outcome than granting or rejecting that would
> you have expected?

    I guess none, but perhaps I've read the thread wrong, as I was
under the impression that TIll wished for core-dev.  Given the several
statements that a mere mortal can go straight to core-dev, I'll shut
up now, since the entirety of my point was that I don't see value in
joining MOTU without a declared intent to work on universe (which I
didn't see).

--
Emmet HIKORY