general discussion about social conflicts (was: Request for MOTU Council to consider Marco Rodrigues (Kmos) not potentially suitable for MOTU)

Stefan Potyra stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Dec 11 12:22:27 GMT 2007

Hi,

<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/motu-council/2007-December/000597.html>,
CC-ing ubuntu-motu, as I guess we should continue with the general discussion
there).

Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 12:23 schrieb Daniel Holbach:
[..]

> After commenting on all the points of your proposal, I'd like to add a
> few thoughts of my own. Your initial mail was a good attempt at trying
> to address all the problems around Marco. While this is important, I
> think it's even more important to have the general discussion.
>
> Which problems did we face programmatically? What can we do to fix them?
>
> Problems I can identify are:
>       * confusion of who's responsible for dealing with the problems
>       * lack of integration of Kmos in the team (I'd have expected Kmos
>         to ask for more advice)
>       * much earlier escalation to the MC

	* proactive reaction from MC at that time

I guess I'm guilty there too, having been a MC member at the time when the
conflict first arose. Sorry!

	* policy for conflict resolution

With this, I don't think of a policy document describing the exact details of
how a conflict should get resolved, but rather to have some outline what
measures can be taken: E.g. first actions could include mediation attempts
but it should also be clear what last resort actions can be taken, in case
every other attempt fails.

>       * <please add points to the list>

Cheers,
   Stefan.