Is MOTU a requirement for core-dev?

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 11 12:05:07 GMT 2007

On Di, 2007-12-11 at 20:32 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Not that it impacts Till's application in any way, but why is MOTU
> the first natural step on the way to core-dev?  I acknowledge that
> core-dev has upload rights to all of universe, so members of core-dev
> should preferably be familiar with MOTU processes, but I don't
> understand why someone with a declared intention to work exclusively
> on specific packages in Main must first be MOTU: this seems an
> unnecessary step, as it does not allow the developer in question any
> additional rights regarding the packages they maintain, and may not be
> representative of an intent to assist in the maintenance of Universe.

I think that Matt Zimmerman's reply on
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/motu-council/2007-November/000562.html
was very clear:
"... I've repeatedly told community applicants that
it's OK to apply for core-dev straight away if they are qualified.  For
example, this opportunity should be open to experienced Debian developers,
who by virtue of their involvement with Debian, already have most of the
knowledge and skills needed to work on Ubuntu and deserve to be
fast-tracked.

This should only be for exceptional cases, though.  In general, it makes
more sense to apply for MOTU first."

> Further, does any member of the MOTU Council expect that the
> granting of MOTU will result in additional uploads to universe, or
> have any result other than immediate reapplication for core-dev?

Developers who don't meet the criteria that Matt mentioned yet can
demonstrate their ability by working in Universe as any other MOTU does
too.

> Note that I do believe that first becoming MOTU is the easiest way
> to demonstrate the skills appropriate to being approved for core-dev
> membership, but this would be through the successful maintenance of
> packages in universe and participation in the universe packaging
> community.  In a case where there is no stated intention to work on
> universe packages or participate in the universe packaging community,
> I simply don't see the point (although I suggest the criteria for
> approval should be as strict as for any MOTU applying for core-dev,
> and that this may require greater burden of proof regarding the
> suitabilty of the work when there is no activity in universe by which
> to judge the candidate).

I believe going through the application process and becoming part of
MOTU is beneficial to the development of developers. They will have to
realise and demonstrate much earlier what is important and how to work
in the community. Also they can actively participate in initiatives like
the Sponsoring team.

All in all I think the process makes sense as it is.
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers could maybe do with some
clarification in that regard.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel