Mir support in mesa, vulkan, xserver

Alan Griffiths alan.griffiths at canonical.com
Thu May 11 13:28:40 UTC 2017

On 11/05/17 13:13, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
> 	Hi
>
> Now that the future Ubuntu desktop will be based on GNOME-Shell on
> Wayland, where does that leave Mir support in mesa, vulkan and xserver?
> Will there be someone to push those bits upstream, or can I drop them in
> Artful?

We're still discussing the best way to move forward with these. (And
catching up with work partially completed by folks that are no longer
here to help.)

While we are no longer planning to use Mir on the desktop we need to
support Mir for Ubuntu Core based deployments going forwards. So for the
moment I want to keep these in place.

We've started discussions on how best to approach the mesa patches, they
are not yet in the form we would want to upstream but we'll get to that
soon.

I'm yet not fully informed of the state of vulkan work, so that may take
a little longer. (Depending on the work involved I'd like to complete
that, but if that's impractical we'll drop it.)

Is the xserver reference to Xmir? (We need that.) Or is there something
I'm not yet aware of?

Thanks,
Alan