Client display configuration notification

Alan Griffiths alan.griffiths at canonical.com
Wed Oct 21 14:38:44 UTC 2015

On 21/10/15 11:38, Thomas Voß wrote:
> Well, we always need to satisfy the case of handing configuration up & down a
> nested shell scene. If we don't add the respective functionality to
> the client api, we end up in
> the situation of Unity8 being unable to speak to its parent Mir
> instance. With that, configuration API
> should live in the client API from my POV.

I'm not sure what /you/ are referring to here. The existing APIs and
design deals with handing configuration up & down a nested
configuration. The discussion is about adding an API to change the
Unity8 "base configuration" - the one used when the current client (if
any) hasn't selected a configuration itself.
> Either that, or we borrow ideas from Macaroons, requiring clients to
> pass in a "cookie" to privileged functions.
> One additional benefit would be easier reading of the API as the
> arguments make it immediately clear which functions require a prior
> negotiation of permissions.

We could do the same as we have with prompt providers and simply connect
the configuration client via a "trusted" socket.