Should this be "core"?

Alan Griffiths alan.griffiths at canonical.com
Mon Oct 5 10:33:44 UTC 2015

In debugging our cursor code and getting it under tests I found
something surprising (to me). Vis:

std::shared_ptr<mi::CursorImages>
mir::DefaultServerConfiguration::the_cursor_images()
{
    return cursor_images( [this]() -> std::shared_ptr<mi::CursorImages>
        {
            auto xcursor_loader = std::make_shared<mi::XCursorLoader>();
            if (has_default_cursor(*xcursor_loader))
                return xcursor_loader;
            else return std::make_shared<mi::BuiltinCursorImages>();
        });
}

Which translates to "see if X cursors images are available, if so use
them, otherwise use a builtin cursor". I don't think this is correct
behaviour for *core* libmirserver - I think that should always and
predictably use the builtin image. Something like the above makes
perfect sense in example code, but I don't think we should hard wire
this as the default.

Does anyone have an objection to changing the above to...

std::shared_ptr<mi::CursorImages>
mir::DefaultServerConfiguration::the_cursor_images()
{
    return cursor_images( [this]() -> std::shared_ptr<mi::CursorImages>
        {
 return std::make_shared<mi::BuiltinCursorImages>();
        });
}

...and moving the X cursor support to libexampleserverconfig.a?