RFC Evolving Mir support for writing shells

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Wed Mar 25 01:50:13 UTC 2015

Changing focus is a WM concept. But strictly speaking "focus" is an
input concept [1]. It exists lower level in the display server to ensure
key events land on the correct surface. You might also have "active"
window for visual focus (greater highlighting, shadow), which is usually
and hopefully the same window, except when using input methods. But
"focus" is all about keyboards.

I'm not sure we've correctly separated these two concepts in Mir yet.
But last I saw, the design docs for Unity8 did.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_(computing)