Where do we validate surface attributes?

Andreas Pokorny andreas.pokorny at canonical.com
Wed Jul 1 13:51:27 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Cemil Azizoglu <
cemil.azizoglu at canonical.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Invalid combinations of attributes will generate errors and logged so
> clients can figure out what they are doing wrong.
>
> A problem I see is that this would require clients to be aware of which
> shell they are running on so they generate attribute settings that conform
> to that particular shell. That doesn't sounds like a good thing. An
> application running perfectly on a particular shell may start getting
> errors on a new shell. Not sure what we can do there. Anybody have ideas?

This sounds like a good motivation to put the validation inside
libmirclient, hence make it independent of the mirserver. We currently do
not intend to make the protocol itself easily extensible. So the the set of
things to do and configure by a client is limited by libmirclients API.
Just weakening the requirements of that fixed set of client requests does
not create playground for freely definable window management concepts. So I
believe that would end up being a bad compromise. So we should keep
libmirclient strict, and motivate anyone interested in extending those
concepts to simply extend libmirclient.