More typing

Daniel d'Andrada daniel.dandrada at canonical.com
Thu Jan 22 10:08:27 UTC 2015

On 22/01/15 06:23, Daniel van Vugt wrote:
> Looking at an example of changing from the old input event API to the
> new one in Mir 0.10:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mir-team/mir/development-branch/revision/2246?compare_revid=2128#examples/fingerpaint.c
>

> You can see it requires a lot more code now.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how we might make things
> simpler for users again before this becomes the norm...?
>
> - Daniel

Having a quick look, the cause seems to be because android merged touch
and mouse input under the same event structure (motion events). For
things like dragging and clicking/tapping (which comprises most of the
interactions you do) this is a blessing as you handle both in the same
way. So you don't have to bother telling them apart unless you want to
do something mouse or touch specific.

But having touch and mouse in completely separate APIs you end up
duplicating code.