Mir on LTS { was RFC: Move to C++14 }

Robert Carr robert.carr at canonical.com
Tue Feb 17 19:17:24 UTC 2015

>> - Does Mir (and the downstreams) really need to support Trusty?

I can't really comment. I'm not so sure graphics platform developers would
target the LTS though as they wouldn't expect anyone to run their code on
the LTS (?).

>> For the latter, I can imagine we could backport the Mir trunk to Trusty
(updating gcc, other package dependencies, downstreams, etc, and their
dependencies in turn). But I'm afraid, this might be akin to basically
slowly updating everything and ending up in the end with Vivid.

I think this is ok and I think other projects have done it in the past at
least in the form of a PPA?

P.S. "e.g. Trusty uses gcc 4.8, whereas vivid, and utopic, uses gcc 4.9"

I'm sure there are some real GCC dependencies but the GCC dependency in the
packaging is artificial and used to avoid ABI breaks during a race
condition in building Mir+Downstreams and releasing a new GCC.