private stuff "temporary" exposed

Alan Griffiths alan.griffiths at canonical.com
Fri Oct 3 11:23:40 UTC 2014

Some time ago we introduce a "temporary" facility to hook into the
protobuf messaging protocol. This is exemplified by the
DemoPrivateProtobuf acceptance tests. This support was intended to allow
faster prototyping of some features that would eventually migrate into Mir.

Once these features were stable and integrated into Mir we intended to
remove this support (and these files have always carried a warning not
to use these APIs "for real").

As part of our stabilization of API and ABI efforts we should be trying
to remove this support from the API. In particular, Mir cannot ensure
compatibility across different Mir servers for any toolkits that depend
on such features.

However, things have not worked out as intended. These APIs are in use
for an (apparently stable) unity.protobuf.UnityService service copied
between platform-api, unity-mir and qtmir.

It would clearly be better to have a single definition of this service
in Mir than requiring all downstream projects to replicate it for
compatibility.

Thoughts?