Unity8/Mir, and a11y infrastructure.

Luke Yelavich luke.yelavich at canonical.com
Tue Nov 4 05:28:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 08:08:42PM AEST, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Today at the sprint a few of us were discussing accessibility infrastructure requirements for Unity 8, and what unity and/or Mir will have to provide. I was asked to collate everything into a blueprint, which I have done. [1]
>
> The blueprint links to some documentation as to how things work now, and what is needed for things to continue to work well. I have also added pointers to the at-spi registry code in GNOME git. This code is responsible for dealing with input events for mouse and keyboard.
>
> If you need any more info, feel  free to ask.
>
> Thanks Robert, Gerry, Daniel, and Chris for attending the session, much appreciated.
>
> [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/client-unity8-a11y

So now that we are into vivid, and are looking ahead to desktop convergence, I think we need to get this back on the radar. I'm going to be looking at what needs doing further up the stack, i.e with Orca, Qt and the SDK. The desktop team are already looking at running GTK apps on a Mir Desktop, so it would be nice to be able to get things in place even to support Gtk a11y on mir, even if the Qt pieces are not yet ready.

Luke