scene::Session => scene::Application

Alan Griffiths alan.griffiths at canonical.com
Tue Jun 3 14:59:56 UTC 2014

On 03/06/14 15:39, Gerry Boland wrote:
> Your reasons for why Session is a bad name would help the discussion.

Because it is the collection of surfaces owned by a MirConnection - and
"session" doesn't convey *any* of that.

> I've always thought that since Mir is a server, why not refer to clients
> as "Client" -

Currently there is no representation of a "client" in Mir - nor is there
a simple way to identify one: We do try to identify the PID of the
process talking over a socket but there are limits to that.

> I interpret Application as a client that creates a window
> for a user to interact with - but configuration tools & snapshotting
> tools may not create a window (i.e. for scripting)
> -G

OK, so "Application" might not be a good name either.

And, if you move onto the desktop, an application can have more than one
windows for a user to interact with.