Logging vs Reporting

Christopher James Halse Rogers chris at cooperteam.net
Thu Jul 24 06:09:13 UTC 2014

Hey all.

This is somewhat of a revival of a discussion from London, and
tangentially related to the contentious fatal-error branch.

We currently have no logging in our codebase outside of the 3rd_party
android code. This makes it difficult to work out what's happening when
things go wrong because we get nothing but a “oops, this didn't
work” exception without context; hence the fatal-error branch.

I remember there was some resistance to freeform logging in London.
What do people think about a global mir::log(mir_severity¹ severity,
char const* format, ...) function for freeform logging, with this going
out to the console by default?

¹: Suggested severities - {debug, info, warning, error}