Improving next_buffer() rpc

Christopher James Halse Rogers chris at cooperteam.net
Thu Jul 10 04:46:20 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Alberto Aguirre
<alberto.aguirre at canonical.com> wrote:
> I think RAOF point is accurate, with the current existing approach
> (triple buffered by default), BufferQueue has 2 buffers for clients,
> 1 for compositor. rpc next_buffer(SurfaceId) returns (Buffer) will
> return immediately as BufferQueue will have a free buffer to give out.
> However Daniel's point I believe is the client should also be able to
> pipeline the rpc wait with their rendering which I agree it should be
> a goal.
>
> I think I have a slight practical preference for #2/#6 as we are
> mostly dealing with EGL glue code now however it doesn't let you
> pipeline the RPC wait for next buffer but it's not any worse that
> what we currently have.
>
> However, long-term I would favor a solution where the "free" signal
> could just be done by an fd/fence that the client can check as it
> tries to acquire a free buffer on its side (the client would
> initially get all buffer references to maintain the pool) if none are
> free, it would just epoll/wait on fence until free.
> That way the server can signal free buffers asynchronously, which
> potentially pipelines with client rendering and does not generate an
> rpc from server to client.

Oooh, yeah. That's very nice.

On mesa, at least, we should be able to get these fences for free,
thanks to Maarten's dma-buf fence work. It seems that Android has a
similar mechanism, so this looks gorgeous.

If this is what we want to end up at then any RPC call which exchanges
a Buffer isn't going to be a part of The Glorious Future™.

I don't think The Glorious Future™ is going to arrive particularly
soon, so I'm not averse to Kevin implementing a transient buffer
exchange RPC call.