Improving next_buffer() rpc

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Thu Jul 10 02:17:02 UTC 2014

Triple buffering is relevant to the conversation because it appears to
be the only way to make full concurrent use of buffers without a round
trip on every swap. So if we want better performance that is directly
relevant to the protocol change.

Presently a client swap_buffers is a delay (round trip) as well as a
minimum of 2 context switches (probably more due to our generous use of
threads) as it sends the old buffer and waits for a new one. We can get
that down to a best case of no round-trip and thus zero context switches
during swap_buffers. So long as the client already has the next "free"
buffer at its disposal without having to wait at all. It's a goal worth
aiming for.

I know triple buffering is traditionally laggy but in the context of
Mir's design I'm now not sure it applies here. Because the server is
always compositing new frames as soon as it has new frames from clients.
Even the slightest pause then, and you can be certain that the "ready"
sub-queue is emptied and thus it's only one frame lag from client to
server, no matter how long the overall ring of buffers is. This would
explain why I've struggled to see any visual difference in triple vs
double buffering, but I will retest...