Bite size

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Tue Jan 28 06:47:58 UTC 2014

All,

We continue to get a lot of large (~1000 lines) proposals. You might
notice these are very slow to get reviewed and land. The biggest reason
(I think) being that no one wants to stop work for a few hours to review
each revision of each large proposal.

So in the interests of faster reviews, and quicker landing, please try
to keep merge proposals small. Where possible.

If you have a large proposal and need to break it up, that's simple...

   1. Create a diff: bzr diff --old :parent > ~/bigone.diff
   2. Edit bigone.diff and delete the parts you don't need.
   3. Create a new branch and reapply the changes:  patch -p0 <
~/bigone.diff
   4. Test and commit.

or

   1. Create a diff: bzr diff --old :parent > ~/bigone.diff
   2. Create a new branch and reapply the changes:  patch -p0 <
~/bigone.diff
   3. Identify changes to drop: bzr status or bzr diff
   4. Drop them: bzr revert path/to/files
   5. Test and commit

Finally, remember to pre-merge prerequisite branches into your own
before proposing it. This will avoid bzr complaining about null
conflicts arising from recreating the prerequisite branch.

- Daniel