Mir in a virtual machine

Rian Quinn rianquinn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 12:48:28 UTC 2014

I would prefer to run the server as non-root, but if I attempt to do that, it complains about not being able to open the DRM device. If I run the fingerprint demo as non-root, and the server as root, the client complains about not being able to make a connection to the server. And some of the clients I cannot get to connect at all regardless of root or not (like all of the EGL examples).

I am a little confused though. If Mir is to replace X someday, clients will have to be able to be run as non-root. The ideal solution is where both the server/compositor, and clients are running as non-root which is one of the things that X doesn’t do today. Are there plans to fixing the privilege issue (everything needing root), or am I not understanding something.

Thanks
- Rian