Mir in a virtual machine

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Thu Jan 23 02:35:14 UTC 2014

Q: Does Mir support multiple monitors? If so, do you have any examples
or at least a starting point on how to set that up.
A: Yes... The API for affecting the multi-monitor config is
   mir_connection_create_display_config
   mir_connection_apply_display_config
   etc.. http://unity.ubuntu.com/mir/group__mir__toolkit.html
To enable basic multi-monitor testing you can:
   mir_demo_server_shell --display-config sidebyside
Mir's multi-monitor configuration is already used in detail by XMir.
That's how you can configure displays from X under XMir.

Q: How does Mir handle surfaces with shapes cut out of them. For
example, a smiley face where the background is shown through the eyes
and mouth.
A: Create your surface with an alpha channel (e.g.
mir_pixel_format_abgr_8888) and then any pixels with alpha==0 will be
transparent. As an example of a free-form shape, you can run:
     mir_demo_client_egltriangle -b 0.0

Q: Do clients need to have root access. For the fingerprint test, I
could not get it to run without a sudo.
A: Yes and no. A client can run as the same user as the server,
including non-root. This works perfectly for touch (Android) devices
however desktop has the problem of requiring root to access input
devices. You can run mir server and client on desktop as non-root but
you won't be able to interact with it.