Mir in a virtual machine

Rian Quinn rianquinn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 17:21:28 UTC 2014

Daniel,

I was able to update my system, and my sources and was able to get Mir up
and running.

I am actually really impressed with the Mir source code. We were
considering writing a lot of this ourselves, but I think that Mir has
everything that we need already.

I do have a couple of questions.
- Does Mir support multiple monitors? If so, do you have any examples or at
least a starting point on how to set that up.
- How does Mir handle surfaces with shapes cut out of them. For example, a
smiley face where the background is shown through the eyes and mouth.
- Do clients need to have root access. For the fingerprint test, I could
not get it to run without a sudo.

Thanks,
- Rian

For others interested in how I got Mir up and running, here were my steps:

1:
Install the 3.13 linux kernel. Here is what I used for that:
http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kernel-3-13-rc-7-on-ubuntu-linux-mint-pear-os-and-elementary-os/

2:
Install libDRM from the following PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers/

3:
run sudo apt-get build-dep mir

4:
Download and compile Mir form the following:
http://unity.ubuntu.com/mir/building_source_for_pc.html

5:
Download and compile Mir's version of Mesa and here are the compilation
steps:
http://www.mesa3d.org/install.html

I had to add --disable-dri3 to get it to compile, plus the
--with-egl-platform=mir,drm

Once I was done with that, I could get the examples to execute.