HWC Multimonitor work

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Thu Dec 11 02:50:48 UTC 2014

Even displays of the same refresh rate are a problem (see in X/Compiz
where all but one of your displays will tear).

In Mir (the DRM platform) we've solved this with parallel rendering
while waiting for the previous page flips. Because if you have multiple
monitors at the same refresh rate, the upper limit on time to wait for
vsync on all of them is (asymptotically) double that of a single monitor.

It's possible HWC could support such an approach, so long as we have the
required triple-buffering in the compositor.