VESA DDC/CI display backlight

Alexander GamePad gamepad64 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 10:47:11 UTC 2013

Daniel,

Well, I checked out linux backlight infrastructure, and I understood, that
backlight controls are lower level than Mir.

We need a universal solution, that could work with Mir or even in console
mode.

Maybe, smb could write a library, that tries to control backlight level
using several ways (just like libbacklight, but more advanced) and make Mir
to use it?

I propose such ways (higher is preferred):
- Firmware (for LVDS)
- Platform (linux native)
- DDC/CI (for displays, that support such thing)
- Raw (for controlling devices using PCI interace)
- Display server interface for changing picture brightness (it is a
fallback way to control displays or GPUs that support none of the ways
above. Redshift tool could do such thing using XRandr).

In the case of yes, I am ready to write such library and tool with
xbacklight-like CLI.

But this library will use system functions extensively, so root permissions
are required (or a daemon part started on boot).
Alexander,

If it's part of DDC then certainly Mir might be the place to implement
that. I don't think it's a high priority for the team in 13.10 though.

Maybe it should be discussed as part of:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/**xmir/+bug/1211797<https://bugs.launchpad.net/xmir/+bug/1211797>
?

- Daniel