Update Known Issues on Mir installation page?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Sep 3 13:10:29 UTC 2013

On 03/09/13 03:34, Daniel van Vugt wrote:
> Thanks Joe,
>
> That's really an Ubuntu page which is not maintained by the Mir team.
>
> We maintain: http://unity.ubuntu.com/mir/
>
> However, of course we can and should fix the Ubuntu wiki where it needs fixing.
>
> - Daniel

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for clarification and for updating the wiki page.  By coincidence today I
decided to give Mir a spin, installing unity-system-compositor from universe:
libmirserver1 is version 0.0.10+13.10.20130829.2-0ubuntu1.

This is on a ThinkPad T420, graphics:

     VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor
Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
     Subsystem: Lenovo Device 21ce
     Kernel driver in use: i915

There's a lot of distortion around the mouse cursor, particularly when moving it
slowly or when there is a heavy-ish load on the system.

Doing anything like playing a video (e.g. YouTube) seems to slow everything down
a lot, the video is choppy and there is distortion elsewhere on the screen (e.g.
while typing this email, there is distortion around the letters I'm typing as
they appear).  Sometimes during a heavy system load the display will even
freeze, although this doesn't appear to be a crash -- other things (such as
audio playback) will continue, and the display unfreezes itself after a period
of time (e.g. if a video ends).

Multi-monitor seems broadly OK although once when I Ctrl-Alt-Del'd to try and
escape a frozen display, I wound up with both laptop and external screen active
and was unable to reconfigure the system to use just the external display
without a restart.

I'm not sure to what extent these are known issues and given how vague the
report is I wasn't sure whether to turn this into a bug report or a report on
the wiki page Jono Bacon set up:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mir/GPUTesting

So, I thought I'd put it on record here -- let me know if you'd like it written
up either on Launchpad or the wiki and I'll do so.

Thanks & best wishes,

        -- Joe