Mir client API extensibility

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at canonical.com
Tue Sep 3 04:31:16 UTC 2013

I don't think the current Mir API is big enough to warrant splitting it up
- the overhead of doing this will cause packaging and API maintenance
headaches but probably not make the API any easier to use for developers in
my opinion. The number of developers directly interfacing to Mir is quite
small and they will probably read documentation rather than headers, so
this just becomes a documentation problem.

Over time I can see us needing to add more messaging to the protocol that
doesn't belong in the "core" Mir protocol. Things like communication
between XMir and Unity System Compositor that work best architecturally by
using the same links for simplicitly, reliability and security. Some of
these interfaces also might have a limited lifetime and putting them into a
core protocol would add bloat.

+1 some form of extensibility in the Mir client protocol.

--Robert