Subsurface support, or delegated compositing

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 25 06:51:47 UTC 2013

One of the architectural things that I want to get done at the sprint
next week is a solid idea of how we want to do nested
compositing/out-of-process plugins/subsurfaces - which all seem to me to
be aspects of the same problem.

In order to prime the discussion - and to invite outside contributions -
I thought I'd lay out the usecases as I see them before we get to
London.

There are two conceptual use-cases here -
1) “I want to delegate some of my UI to a third party”, and
2) “I need to do some compositing, and want to do this efficiently”

A Unity8 session running under unity-system-compositor falls under (2).

A video player playing a YUV stream that might also want to throw some
RGB-rendered UI over it is also (2); a video player that has some chrome
around a video widget is (1) and (2).

The “embed bits of other applications in our window” requested on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1230091 is firmly in (2).

As I see it, there are also two classes of problem:
a) How is the rendering loop coordinated between parent and child - does
the parent need to swap each time the child has new rendering, or can
the child swap independently, or are both modes available? What happens
if a child also wishes to embed children of its own?

This is the only concern for the type (2) use-case.

b) How is input handled? Does the parent need to proxy input events and
forward them on? How does enter/leave notification work for the parent
and child? Can the child return events to the parent? Etc.

This is necessary for the type (1) use-cases, and also seems to be the
hairy bit.

Weston (but not yet Wayland) currently partially solves (2) with the
subsurfaces protocol, which has chosen the “no child rendering appears
until the parent swaps” approach, and doesn't handle out of process
renderers at all.

For full out-of-process rendering, and for type-1 usecases, the my
understanding of the current state of the art is that the parent should
become a Wayland compositor itself. This seems a bit of a co-out to me,
and doesn't really solve case 2; however, this area is gnarly, so it
might prove to be the best solution.

For X, the relevant prior-art is XEMBED¹, in all of its
map-an-invisible-1x1-window-to-work-around-X11's-focus-model glory.

¹: http://standards.freedesktop.org/xembed-spec/xembed-spec-latest.html