Mir on vmwgfx

Christopher James Halse Rogers chris at cooperteam.net
Tue Nov 5 23:21:27 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-05 at 12:04 +0200, Alexandros Frantzis wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 08:22:28AM +0100, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm new to this list and I'm trying to get Mir running in a VMware
> > virtual machine on top of the vmwgfx driver stack.
> > The idea is to first get "mir_demo_server_basic" running with demo
> > clients and then move on to Xmir, patching up our drivers as
> > necessary.
>
> Hi Thomas, thanks for looking into this. Feel free to also join
> #ubuntu-mir on freenode if you need more direct information.
>
> > So far, I've encountered a couple of issues that might need
> > attention from MIR developers:
> >
> > 1) function mggh::DRMHelper::is_appropriate_device() in
> > gbm_display_helpers.c checks whether a drm device has any children
> > except itself. This is not true for vmwgfx, and the server will fail
> > to start thinking that our drm device is not appropriate. Why the
> > child requirement?
>
> Will take a deeper look, probably an arbitrary requirement based
> on what major hardware drivers expose.

This requirement is intended to be a rough-and-ready check for “does
this drm device have any output hardware”. The physical drm drivers all
expose their connectors as sub-objects of the main drm udev node.

We now also check to see whether any of the enumerated connectors are
actually connected, so the udev check should be able to go away.

Chris