Qt Scenegraph and Mir

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Fri Nov 1 06:08:55 UTC 2013

Comments added to the doc. And now some high-level thoughts:

1. To make communication of requirements between Unity and Mir teams
more clear, we should avoid using any Q-words. This is simply because
Mir is not toolkit specific and any Mir work is not toolkit specific.
The Mir team will better understand what you mean and want if it's
expressed in a way that also does not sound toolkit specific (even if it
comes from toolkit-specific requirements, which are fine).

2. As with any siginificant Google doc, we should ensure all comments
are agreed upon and marked as resolved. Then the comments will no longer
be visible. If something important is in a comment and not in the
document, it needs to be moved into the document.

3. I got a bit of a surprise to find the document is much about work
I've already implemented. We have optimizations in place to dynamically
switch between hardware non-GL compositing and GL compositing (and
dynamic optimizations to GL compositing). The most relevant code is in:

Despite already being implemented, I fully support changes to the Scene
classes and composition algorithms. And I would be happy to see the
aforementioned source files replaced with a cleaner Scene model. So long
as we don't lose any functionality or performance already established.

- Daniel