Mir in Ubuntu

Christopher James Halse Rogers chris at cooperteam.net
Mon May 27 06:19:50 UTC 2013

It looks like it's about time to land some of Mir¹ in Ubuntu.

Since the system compositor depends on the Mir server API, which we've
made no effort to make ABI-stable, I don't think we can reasonably
autoland mir+unity-system-compositor into the distro.

This probably means that we should do some form of periodic releases,
which go in the distro. I think something like a weekly or fortnightly
release would be appropriate.

This also raises the question of how much support, in the form of
post-release stable updates, we'll give the Mir in desktop 13.10 - my
current understanding is “basically none”, but we'll need to think
about branching a stable branch etc if that's incorrect.

¹: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/client-1303-mir-xorg