Multi-monitor thoughts

Thomi Richards thomi.richards at canonical.com
Fri Jun 28 04:09:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

Thought I'd add my $0.02:

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Daniel van Vugt <
daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com> wrote:

> I think it's much more familiar for apps to just ask for monitor N to be
> resolution X*Y, than to define any "config" metadata. Also much more
> flexible and simpler to implement. What you're suggesting sounds like it
> requires apps to be modified, and not just the toolkits they use.

Implementation aside, one area I'd love to see improved is better
restoration of sane defaults after something goes wrong. For example, if I
start playing a game, it typically alters the resolution (and other
options). If the game crashes, I'm almost always left with a desktop in the
wrong resolution.

Alexandros' plan sounded to me like it would handle this display
restoration transparently, which would make me very happy indeed. Then
again, I'm sure there are many ways to implement that feature, so I'm not
suggesting that your concerns are invalid in any way.

Cheers,

--
Thomi Richards
thomi.richards at canonical.com