Fwd: Screen Blanking Power Management Requirements

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Wed Jun 26 01:51:13 UTC 2013

"The shell will use a timer, and send DBus messages like:
session_gone_inactive (no input events in X minutes), activity_resumed
(an input event on an inactive session)."

Right, so that just means whenever the user changes their power
management timeouts, Mir will have to receive a message to be told to
adjust the timeout it uses. Because Mir's timeout must match whatever
the user has configured for their screensaver.

But then for Mir to send any message saying "I've timed out now, please
give me permission to blank" is pointless. Because Mir already has all
the timeout logic, and it already has all the logic for doing the
blanking. No external daemons need to be notified except perhaps that
"The screen has been blanked".

Mir doesn't need to ask for permission to blank the screen. It just
needs to receive config changes to know what the screensaver timeout is.