Desktops Running On XMir

Kevin Gunn kevin.gunn at canonical.com
Tue Jun 25 15:52:29 UTC 2013

Daniel - cmiiw, but I believe the introduced lag won't be a full frame
(16ms) because as i understood from RAOF, the input buffers on xmir aren't
vysnch governed, only the ouput final fb render of unity-system-compositor
(u-s-c)
hence, x/compiz level can literally draw as fast as possible into the input
buffers...and only the u-s-c composition turn is vsynch'd.
so while maybe it could be more effecient, its not as bad as vsynch lock at
multiple levels.

and doesn't compiz have a bypass mechanism itself ? meaning shouldn't it
draw into mir's input buffers directly ?
(i'm guessing this is exactly the problem you're pointing out...)
br,kg