Mir Licensing

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Thu Jun 20 04:16:25 UTC 2013

I think you're making the licensing sound worse than it is.

Mir is GPL and Canonical always reserves the right to change that in
future versions, as with all Canonical projects.

Canonical cannot ever take away your rights to use existing GPL versions
of Mir as GPL. Once a version has been released as GPL, that version is
GPL forever, AFAIK.

Canonical can only relicense "your work" in future if you commit it to
the Mir project. If however your work is not contributed to the Mir
project, but depends on it, then so long as you always use a GPL'd
version of Mir, Canonical has no rights to influence your work.