Mir Licensing

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Thu Jun 20 01:39:46 UTC 2013

 > Also, some people have concerns about the CLA of Canonical. it can be
 > inferred that Canonical retains the right of making a proprietary
 > version of Mir, which concerns some people.

_If_ Canonical's Contributor License Agreement for Mir mentions anything
about "the right of making a proprietary version of Mir" then I'm
surprised. Because that would probably be unenforceable.

Mir, and the server code in particular, is GPL. That usually makes it
illegal for anyone* to make a closed-source Mir server.

*"anyone" may exclude Canonical as the original copyright holder.
Canonical might have rights to dual-license or re-license. But those are
murky waters I'm not familiar with.

- Daniel