Improving Our Docs

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 2 16:31:06 UTC 2013

Morning,

The list of psuedo-pretty instructions looks more than sufficient in
terms of level of detail.  Just one suggestion.
If the set of deps for the patched xserver and mesa are the same as
development tip xserver and mesa, its sufficient to just say that. If
there are any deps beyond what those upstream projects need to build
their development tip, then it is sufficent and necessary to just name
those.  Or to restart simply:
"Assume the system is prepped to build  the unpatched upstream
dependences as a starting point"

And a couple of other questions.

Daniel, assuming Mir builds.. is this sufficient to get Mir up and
running and test mir native clients in a repeatable way as part the
documented instructions for testing? Same with xmir.  If I want to
smoke fvwm2 on top of xmir, is this sufficient? Or do I need to also
build mir capable lightdm as the dm to manage creating the xmir backed
session?

I am a bit concerned that Daniel and  Robert are suggesting different
git branches for the patched mesa and xserver.  Are they equivalent
for basic smoke testing? Perhaps you guys need to huddle up and come
to agreement as to which specific branches should be codified for
externals now to pull when doing the first build from source,
especially now a new ppa has been created and codified in the docs to
replace the staging ppa. is the new ppa automation pulling for the
branches that Robert pointed me to?  I would hope that the specific
branches in the build from source instructions match what is getting
pulled into the ppa automation.

-jef