Improving Our Docs

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 2 10:46:38 UTC 2013

Hello everybody,

On 02.07.2013 00:23, Jono Bacon wrote:
> This thread has gone quiet. Daniel, I asked you to focus in on improving
> our docs here, can you provide an update to the list?

Sure.

> I think our priorities are:
>
>  * Build instructions for other distros.

I talked to several people and together with consulting
http://unity.ubuntu.com/mir/building_source_for_pc.html and some help
from IRC, I'd say that the following should help getting mir builds up
and running.  (Please let me know if any essential
options/flags/build-dependencies are missing.)

I tested this in an Ubuntu chroot today:

# for Mir
<install cmake cmake-data doxygen xsltproc graphviz libboost-all-dev
         protobuf-compiler libegl1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev
         libglm-dev libprotobuf-dev pkg-config libgoogle-glog-dev
         liblttng-ust-dev libxkbcommon-dev valgrind libdrm-dev
         libgbm-dev> (note that some package names might be different
                      for other distros)
bzr branch lp:mir
cd mir; mkdir build; cd build
cmake ..
make -j8
sudo make install

# for mesa
<install bison expat libexpat-dev llvm libxcb-xfixes0-dev autoconf
         automake libtool libxml2-dev python-libxml2 flex intltool
         llvm-3.2-dev>
git clone https://github.com/RAOF/mesa
cd mesa
./autogen.sh --with-egl-platforms=mir,drm
make
sudo make install

# for xserver
<install xutils-dev libpixman-1-dev libgcrypt11-dev x11proto-xcmisc-dev
         libxkbfile-dev x11proto-xf86dri-dev x11proto-render-dev
         x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev
         x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-xf86bigfont-dev x11proto-video-dev
         x11proto-scrnsaver-dev libxfont-dev x11proto-resource-dev
         x11proto-record-dev libpciaccess-dev xfonts-utils
         x11proto-bigreqs-dev>
git clone https://github.com/RAOF/xserver
cd xserver
./autogen.sh --enable-xmir
make -j8

Unfortunately during the last step I run into
http://paste.ubuntu.com/5835758/ - any help with resolving this would be
appreciated.

Once this is resolved we should be able to update our docs and have a
"build on non-Ubuntu" section, I guess.

I'll udpate https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1193261 with my findings.

>  * Guide to building Mir support for a WM.

I talked to several people and the consensus seemed to be that things
are moving and changing too quickly right now to be able to document
anything which doesn't have to be changed in a couple of weeks/days
again. In https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1193260 I suggested to
link to code examples.

Have a great day,
 Daniel

--
Get involved in Ubuntu development! developer.ubuntu.com/packaging
Follow @ubuntudev on identi.ca/twitter.com/facebook.com/G+