XMir now on vmwgfx

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Fri Dec 20 07:45:01 UTC 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

On 12/20/2013 03:25 AM, Daniel van Vugt wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> Excellent work, thanks.
>
> The two people best placed to answer your questions are now on
> vacation, but I shall try;
>
> 1) There is no explicit message that DRM mastership has been dropped.
> Mir will just block in the page flip while the (Mir) server is no
> longer consuming buffers:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://github.com/RAOF/xserver/blob/vladmir-upstreaming/hw/xfree86/xmir/xmir-window.c%23L149&k=oIvRg1%2BdGAgOoM1BIlLLqw%3D%3D%0A&r=l5Ago9ekmVFZ3c4M6eauqrJWGwjf6fTb%2BP3CxbBFkVM%3D%0A&m=OZU2uhMnuCLeFGemU2b1KMBMAOfsNVVUYP8oK4asWXQ%3D%0A&s=b5554ffe56b763b91618a403405d0a7f02c321e648c7095e828fba712ec8a6c5
>
> But that happens after the drop of mastership so there's still a
> potential race between the server dropping it, and the DDX rendering.
> Worst case is that the DDX could render 2 frames before filling the
> queue and then no more will be requested until the server resumes. Is
> it more than 2 extraneous frames you're seeing? Or is two still a
> problem for the DDX? Do we need something like this?...
>    mir_drm_lock();
>    /* DDX code in which mastership won't be dropped */
>    mir_drm_unlock();

Actually, it's more an issue of DRM security: Is a client allowed to use
DRM after its master has dropped? The vmwgfx kernel module blocks any
such attempts (but I'm not sure that is the right solution). In the XMir
case, that should be OK, as long as XMir itself is allowed to block like
that, and I guess if it would otherwise block in the Mir pageflip that
should be OK. Bare X would typically not block since it's
single-threaded and that would stop it from becoming master again.
Blocking might however be an issue for X clients with critical timing
like Xv video players, that would need to start dropping frames.

I think, if anything, one should consider using enterVT / leaveVT as a
notification that master has been reclaimed / is about to be dropped.
Drivers can then take appropriate action (drop Xv frames, software
rendering, block DRI, much of what's done under bare X).

> 2) The pixel format of the XMir surface appears to be fixed at
> mir_pixel_format_xrgb_8888 right now. See:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://github.com/RAOF/xserver/blob/vladmir-upstreaming/hw/xfree86/xmir/xmir-output.c%23L311&k=oIvRg1%2BdGAgOoM1BIlLLqw%3D%3D%0A&r=l5Ago9ekmVFZ3c4M6eauqrJWGwjf6fTb%2BP3CxbBFkVM%3D%0A&m=OZU2uhMnuCLeFGemU2b1KMBMAOfsNVVUYP8oK4asWXQ%3D%0A&s=be4e70174e7d611985b4e17c6d63f0b1ce1ecfab9c62c9fb660ce4b3bc482f9f

Hmm, yes, I was more referring to what might happen in the future and
the semantics of the XMir interface.
If there is a way for the DDX to obtain the format of the copy buffer,
the DDX could run in whatever color-depth it prefers and just do a
format-conversion blit when copying to Mir.

> 3) I'm not sure. But the region comes from xmir_window_get_dirty(), here:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://github.com/RAOF/xserver/blob/vladmir-upstreaming/hw/xfree86/xmir/xmir-window.c%23L169&k=oIvRg1%2BdGAgOoM1BIlLLqw%3D%3D%0A&r=l5Ago9ekmVFZ3c4M6eauqrJWGwjf6fTb%2BP3CxbBFkVM%3D%0A&m=OZU2uhMnuCLeFGemU2b1KMBMAOfsNVVUYP8oK4asWXQ%3D%0A&s=7b37a437c950b51cdd2b4c5950f98d72273471abcbb426b7a8b42c536a66e538

OK. I guess I need to dig a bit deeper into this.

Thanks,
Thomas