XMir now on vmwgfx

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Thu Dec 19 13:08:10 UTC 2013

Hi!

I just pushed a branch "hosted" to xf86-video-vmware that enables XMir
(and also XWayland). It will probably not be part of next release which
might happen very soon, but probably with the next release. I'm not sure
what X support on Mir will look like in the end, but all XMir - specific
code is confined to a single file, so it should be easy to change if needed.

Performance seems OK, given that the vmwgfx driver fakes pageflipping
with multiple fullscreen copies. This also means that performance of
XMir compared to bare Xorg might look a bit bad.

A couple of outstanding issues:

1) When Mir VT switches, I guess it drops DRM master. Still, from what I
can tell, the XMir driver is not informed, and may attempt to continue
to render using the drm file-descriptor. Is there a way to inform the
driver about this?
2) I'd like to have a way to get the pixel format of the XMir copy
buffer. I guess it's whatever GBM gives Mir for a given depth, but is it
safe
to assume that the depth of the XMir copy buffer is identical to the
depth of the source window drawable?
3) Is the region given as the second argument to xmir_window_proc
relative to the source window drawable or relative to the underlying pixmap?

Thanks,
Thomas Hellstrom