Input latency

Daniel van Vugt daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com
Fri Dec 13 09:31:54 UTC 2013

Here are some fun numbers I've collected about the latency between input
events sent from the top-level Mir server to a client. All in
milliseconds...

Desktop (3.12.0-7-generic)
Direct 0.8ms
Nested 1.3ms

Desktop (3.11.0-11-lowlatency)
Direct 1.0ms
Nested 1.7ms

Nexus4 (3.4.0-3-mako)
Direct 0.9ms
Nested 1.5ms with high variance; frequent spikes to 73ms. Sometimes 700ms.

The above numbers are for motion events. Key events appear to be twice
as fast (half the latency). This suggests we could yet optimize the
processing of motion events to perform better like key events do.

In summary, we're looking pretty good. Only the Nexus has potential
usability issues, and even then, only with nested servers.

- Daniel