I need some help to fully understand the buffers design

Kevin DuBois kevin.dubois at canonical.com
Thu Apr 4 15:22:50 UTC 2013

We will need an implementation of mg::Display that sits on top of the
SDL/X api. This is how mir's final composition would posted to the screen.

As for the "3rd type" of buffers, the buffers in gbm/android are color
buffers backed by memory we got from the driver platforms that have
certain capabilities. (The buffers must be usable as EGLImages,
transmittable over ipc, mappable for usage in the driver as a GL target)
I'm unaware of anything in SDL that has this capability, as SDL is (as
my understanding goes) more of a cross-platform toolkit.

I haven't dived as deep into the problem as you, but I still think that
the crux of the problem is to create the display type, and then figure
out the permissions on the GBM buffers so that X and Mir can both
operate under the same roof

Cheers,
Kevin