maas hooks/triggers for dns (de-)registration

Patrizio Bassi patrizio.bassi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 18:46:31 UTC 2017

Il giorno mer 29 mar 2017 alle 19:56 LaMont Jones <lamont at mmjgroup.com> ha
scritto:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 03:36:19PM +0200, Patrizio Bassi wrote:
> andres.rodriguez at canonical.com>
> > :
> >
> > > Hi Patrizio,
> > >
> > > I have an external dns providing name resolution for bare metal
> machines
> others are
> can
> > >>

> > > Does this mean that your machines in MAAS share the same hostname as
> those
> > > in your upstream DNS server? Are you configuring MAAS DNS to point to
> the
> > > upstream DNS (Under the Settings page). This would allow MAAS to use
> your
> > > upstream DNS server to resolve for domains names MAAS doesn't know
> about.
> > >

> > Dear Andres,
> >
> > MAAS is configured like this:
> > 1) under global settings it has the upstream DNS (Infoblox) to resolve
> > hostnames it doesn't know, this dns list is passed to maas-deployed
> > machines too
> > 2) the upstream DNS has some (read: first 50s) ips/hostnames already
> > configured in the network 10.x.x.x we are using
> > 3) under DNS settings MAAS has the domain configured as not
> Authoritative.
> > in the Subnet network, infact i reserved the first 50 ips not to be used
> by
> > MAAS (statically allocated in our upstream dns)
> > 4) when MAAS commissions a machine or a juju container it can allocate
> > ip/hostname  without problems but, as it's not authoritative and as our
> > clients are pointing to upstream dns, we do need to notify upstream
> server
> > to add new entry (and remove when it's gone)
>
> The better solution would be to have the infoblox DNS delegate a zone to
> MAAS and slave it.  Even if that means using an RFC2317 network.  (MAAS
> will happily work with that.)  Then the entries get added and removed
> for you, and the slave zone (since you added the NS RR pointing at
> it...) will get notified and refresh.
>
> MAAS really needs to be authoritative for the netblock that it's
> managing.  That reality drove the DNS design, not the other way around.
>
> lamont

Two problems: firstly(minor) we should relay on maas machine for name
resolution while we have a redundant and high performance dns infra.
Secondly in the same zone we have other hostnames user ( manual ) provided
and being a slave we cannot manage those.

Anyhow it would be good, even not considering dns environment, to have
hooks for create/delete/modify node events even for other tasks such as
integrate in network devices configs, cmdb, inventory, cfg manager and so
on.

Isn't this a feature may be considered useful?

Patrizio

> --

Patrizio Bassi
www.patriziobassi.it