IPMI timeouts for Dell R630 machines?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 14 09:00:07 UTC 2017

On 13/02/17 22:13, Sandor Zeestraten wrote:
> Enabling IPMI over LAN (and anything else iDRAC related) is pretty
> straightforward if you use racadm. Check out the link below.
>
> http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/no/no/nobsdt1/dell-idrac-service-module-2.0/idrac8_ug_pub-v1/Configuring-IPMI-Over-LAN-Using-RACADM?guid=GUID-B5132B9F-5DF3-400C-AE33-FA5DA7D66B6A&lang=en-us

For certified machines, this sort of thing should be handled
automatically by MAAS. Commissioning the machine in MAAS implies you
want network IPMI control of the machine, and debugging this is
difficult for someone new to the whole world.

Servers should not get Ubuntu certification unless this stuff "just
works", which means MAAS should enable this itself during enlistment.

Also, MAAS should not be accepting machines during enlistment that it
cannot then drive over the network; if the BMC is unreachable for
example then I would expect a bunch of logs about failed enlistments,
and WHY they failed, and MAAS should not create credentials for itself
in those cases.

So during enlistment:

 * we detect the IPMI details and enable network access if necessary
 * we test that we can reach the BMC from a rack controller
 * we add the secure MAAS credentials for the BMC
 * we verify that we can test power
 * then we consider the enlistment a success and record the machine
   (otherwise, we note the failure and give reasons / pointers in the
GUI and log)

Mark