IPMI timeouts for Dell R630 machines?

Jim Tilander jim at tilander.org
Mon Feb 13 15:50:10 UTC 2017

Hi,

I’ve got a Dell R630 server (brand new) that I’m trying to commission. I managed to get the server up and PXE booting so that it got discovered. So I’m trying to change the state from “New” -> “Commissioned”, at which it fails to contact the BMC for power status.

I noticed that the initial discovery correctly seems to have made a new account “maas” in iDRAC and detected the correct IP address.

The auto detected settings are:

IPMI
LAN_2_0 [IPMI 2.0]
<correct ip>
maas
********

I’ve also verified that the account looks good in iDRAC.

Both /var/log/maas/maas.log and /var/log/maas/regiond.log seems to not contain any useful messages related to IPMI. Am I looking in the right locations? Any ideas what might be not working? I figured that the R630 are “supported” servers?

Cheers,
Jim