[Maas-devel] MAAS Power states

Carla Berkers carla.berkers at canonical.com
Thu Feb 5 17:31:45 UTC 2015

Hi Kiko,

Thanks for summarising in an email, and apologies for the delayed reply.
I can translate your story to UI requirements but there are a couple of
questions I need to address to design a good experience for all cases.

I've scheduled a call next week to talk through the details below.

*ON NODE LISTING*; we need to be able to display three power states:
1. The machine is *currently* on
2. The machine is *currently *off
3. The machines power state is unknown

Question 1: I noticed that in the process of adding and commissioning nodes
the power state is often out of date, especially if commissioning fails.
Is it worth adding more automated power checks? Can we review when in the
commissioning process a power check is performed so we can display the
state more accurately?

Question 2: What is the current interval at which power checks are
performed when no action is taken on a machine? Can this be increased
without causing MAAS performance issues?

Question 3: If continuous or more frequent power checks do cause
performance issues - can we set the power state to unknown at a certain
time after the last check? (For example; if more than an hour has passed
after the last power check, the state would change from 1 or 2 to 3 -
unknown.)

Question 4: Is it correct the machine can't commission unless power
parameters are provided?

*ON NODE DETAILS; *we have a bit more space to add detail, so we can
display:

   1. The machine is *currently* on
   + Time of the latest check
   + Ability to check power
   + Ability to turn machine off

   2.  The machine is *currently *off
   + Time of the latest check
   + Ability to check power
   + Ability to turn machine on

   3. The machines power state is unknown
   + the reason why:

   3A. Unknown because the power parameters aren't configured
          + ability to configure power parameters
          + "save and check" button
   3B. Unknown because power check failed
          + reason why the check failed
          3B1. Power parameters are wrong
                  + ability to change incorrect power parameters
                  + "save and check" button
          3B2. There is a networking issue between MAAS and the power
   controller
                  + cause of the network issue and how to solve it
                  OR instructions to help user check if there is an issue
                  + link to documentation / ask ubuntu / IRC channel
                  + "check again" button
          3B3. User has encountered a bug in MAAS
                  + "check again" button
                  + ability to file a bug

Question 5: Same as on listing - should there be a time limit to states 1
and 2 - so the state is set to unknown if it hasnt been checked for an hour?

Question 6: Is it possible to add an automated power check after adding
power parameters?

Question 7: I understand in some cases, turning power on means MAAS starts
commissioning the machine. In other cases if users click power off MAAS
might give a commissioning (or releasing) error. Should we warn users and
ask them to confirm they want to power on or off?

Question 8: Do we force users to check the power state before we allow them
to power on or off? I understand in some cases, turning power on means you
start commissioning. In other cases if you force power off you might cause
an error?

Question 9: At the moment, is MAAS able to tell the diffence between 3B1,
3B2, and 3B2?

Question 10: What instructions should we provide if there is an issue
between MAAS and and the power controller?

Question 11: If we encourage filing bugs, would some sort of log be useful?
(Similar to the "file a bug" feature if the OS Autopilot fails that
automatically attached the log to the Launchpad bug?)

Question 12: if there is one power controller for multiple machines - does
turning power on or off have impact on other machines on the same BMC?

Thanks again,

Carla