[Maas-devel] Merging MACAddress and Interface

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at canonical.com
Tue Aug 25 01:44:59 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 03:55:33PM -0400, Blake Rouse wrote:
> There is never a case where an Interface will have multiple MAC addresses.
> One interface has one MAC address. But the MAC address field cannot be
> unique, this is because a bond interface can use the MAC address of one of
> its parents.

Great! That's what I was hoping -- IMV in fact interface is the proper
abstraction, with MAC being one of its properties. However:

> 3. A "vlan" or "alias" interface should never have a MAC address as this
> comes from its parent.

In practice will it have a NULL MAC or the same MAC as the parent
interface?

> Also making this change will require the Interface to link to a Node. Which
> makes more since then the current implementation. A constraint will also
> need to exist for this change where only a "physical" or "unknown"
> interface should have a Node. All other interface types "bond", "vlan",
> "alias" should derive their node from there parents.

Really? I realize it's a bit of a normalization violation, but I think
it will make the code quite odd to have some Interfaces have Nodes and
others not!
--
Christian Robottom Reis   | [+1] 612 888 4935    | http://launchpad.net/~kiko
Canonical VP Hyperscale   | [+55 16] 9 9112 6430