[Maas-devel] New MAAS PPA's

Adam Collard adam.collard at canonical.com
Mon Aug 24 08:39:58 UTC 2015

Hi Andres,

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 at 11:29 Andres Rodriguez <
andres.rodriguez at canonical.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> In order to better improve the publication of new MAAS releases, we are in
> the process of re-organizing the MAAS maintained PPA's. The changes include:
>
> *New Launchpad Team*
> From now on, all MAAS Stable and Development releases will no longer be
> released under the 'maas-maintainers' Launchpad Team. We have created a new
> ''maas' Launchpad Team that will host the new PPA's.
>
> *New Set of PPA's*
> The PPA's have now being re-organized into two categories:
>
>    - *Latest Stable Release PPA's (e.g 1.8 series)*
>
> Stable PPA's will host the latest MAAS Stable Release (currently, 1.8).
> This includes 2 PPA's:
>

>    - *ppa:maas/stable*
>
> The 'maas/stable' PPA will host the latest stable verified release (or
> point release). Currently this PPA holds MAAS 1.8.0.
>

>    - *ppa:maas/proposed*
>
> This PPA will host the proposed point release to superseed the latest
> verified release in 'stable'. Currently, this PPA holds MAAS 1.8.1, as a
> candidate to replace MAAS 1.8.0 in ppa:maas/stable. Once the verification
> time is completed, the point release in this PPA will be moved to the
> 'stable' PPA.

Sounds good! Just to clarify - will ppa:maas/proposed be a superset of
ppa:maas/stable? You say that the point release will be "moved" to the
stable PPA. I assume you just mean copied. Will everything land in proposed
first and nothing go straight to stable?

>    - *Current Development Release PPA's (e.g 1.9 series)*
>
> The Development PPA's will host the latest MAAS Development Releases
> (currently, 1.9).
>

>    - *ppa:maas/next*
>
> This PPA will (soon) contain the latest release (i.e. 1.9.0~alpha1) of the
> current development tree. Currently, MAAS 1.9.0~alpha1 is in the process of
> being QA'd for release. Once QA is completed, it will be made available in
> this PPA.
>
> NOTE: The goal of this PPA is to allow user testing of the current
> development tree. Regressions / bugs are expected in this PPA.
>

>    - *ppa:maas/experimental*
>
> This PPA will (soon) contain newer snapshots (or releases) of the
> development release in the 'next' PPA (i.e. 1.9.0~alpha2). The goal of this
> PPA is to provide newer proposed releases (or snapshots) of the development
> tree for user testing.
>
> NOTE: The goal of this PPA is to allow user testing of later snapshots /
> proposed releases of the development tree, and some breakage is expected.
> It is meant to be used at your own risk.

Can you explain the lifecycle of a particular release? Here's my
understanding for 1.9.0, please correct me where wrong:

1. Snapshots get uploaded to experimental
2. QA gates landing some subset of those snapshots in next
3. RC copied from next to proposed
4. Release is rebuilt in proposed from RC
5. Release is copied to stable (gated on broader testing)

Thanks,

Adam