[Maas-devel] RFC: "Serialising" power actions

David Britton david.britton at canonical.com
Wed Sep 17 15:16:38 UTC 2014

My biggest concern as a heavy user of maas is that it actually does what
it thinks it did.  That is, if I tell maas to power it off, it issues
the power off command and then checks (to the best of its ability) that
the machine is powered off before sticking it back in the pool (or
carrying out the next action).

This discussion seemes to be going down another route though:

If it's in the pool and I go to the machine in the lab and flip it on
real quick, I would be surprised that maas shuts it off since it thinks
it knows best.  If another user acquires it while I'm doing maintence,
well I'm kind of getting what I deserve there.  This is not the failure
mode of any of the issues I have hit with MAAS though.  Seems like maybe
a feature that no one has asked for?

IOW: Ensuring actions are carried out is different than ensuring state
is synchronized at all times.  The first problem is a real bug for maas
right now that hopefully you all are on top of.  The second seems more
like very unexepected new territory.

--
David Britton <david.britton at canonical.com>