[Maas-devel] RFC: "Serialising" power actions

Tycho Andersen tycho.andersen at canonical.com
Mon Sep 15 22:26:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 07:17:54PM -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 03:12:58PM -0700, Newell Jensen wrote:
> > Some fodder:
> > Just from a UI standpoint - Isn't there a way we can limit this so that the
> > UI is disabled and a power action 'button' wouldn't become enabled until
> > the blocking power action was performed?
>
> That would make the UI more sensible -- power actions could trigger a
> spinner and then complete successfully or fail.

But I don't use the UI. If my power commands get rejected because "You
need to wait longer to complete a power action.", I'm going to be less
than happy :). To me, GMB's suggestions of either queuing things or
cancelling things seem to be the ones that pass the principle of least
surprise.

The issue about cancelling them leaves things in a weird state is
(IMHO) a moot point. The power controllers (or some logic in maas
somewhere) needs to be able to take over the hardware when it is in a
weird state anyway, so who cares if it was because we cancelled an
action or because AMT sucks.

Queuing them would also be ok from my point of view, but probably more
work than it is worth. Option 3 is just a special case of this, but if
you're going to do it, you may as well just queue them all.

Tycho