[Maas-devel] juju's private-address, DNS, MAAS and postgresql

Julian Edwards julian.edwards at canonical.com
Mon Nov 11 02:00:46 UTC 2013

On 09/11/13 03:56, Gavin Panella wrote:
>> What about the /etc/hosts entry pointing the machine name to 127.0.1.1, do
>> you know what adds that? Is it juju? Without that entry, it also works.
>
> I think this is just the usual setting-the-hostname stuff: MAAS will
> pass in the configured hostname (instead of the generated one) to the OS
> installer, which sets the hostname accordingly, and adds an /etc/hosts
> line so that traffic destined for itself (by name) gets routed via the
> lo interface. Someone else - roaksoax or smoser most likely - will have
> to confirm or correct that explanation.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_hostname_resolution

It's correct policy to have that entry, it seems.

The *feels* like a bug in PG or its charm, to me.  Having said that I
did suggest once that we return IPs from MAAS's API instead of hostnames
but that was shot down.  I can't remember why, though.  Gavin?