[Maas-devel] juju's private-address, DNS, MAAS and postgresql

Andreas Hasenack andreas at canonical.com
Fri Nov 8 13:32:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Gavin Panella
<gavin.panella at canonical.com>wrote:

> Some solutions I can think of:
>
> 1. MAAS could arrange that reverse look-ups return the configured
>    hostname of nodes instead of the generated one (using
>    generated_hostname).

Would work.

> 2. Whatever writes pg_hba.conf could use the name from a reverse look-up
>    instead of the hostname directly.

Sounds cumbersome. The charm just gets private-address, and that is
returning a name that it has to convert to an IP via a dns lookup?

> 3. Whatever writes pg_hba.conf could use the IP address instead of the
>    hostname directly.

There is no IP address in the relation data. "relation-get private-address"
returns a fqdn for some reason. I didn't check what unit-get returns on the
postgresql server.

> 4. Whatever writes pg_hba.conf could add extra rules for both of the
>    above.
>
> I'm not sure of the repurcussions of a change like #1. We chose to use
> the generated name for a reason, though I can't remember exactly what it
> was. Not having to regenerate the zone file everytime the hostname is
> changed might have been part of it.

But you do add a CNAME everytime a machine comes up.

> #2, #3 and #4 require changes to the charm, which I'll assume is easier
> to do than making a change to core MAAS. I guess it's confusing to charm
> authors though: a hostname is a hostname, right? It's an unexpected
> wrinkle. We probably ought to fix #1, or at least justify better why
> it's like that. In the meantime one of the other options ought to
> unblock you.
>
> If you agree, can you file a bug about #1?

What about the /etc/hosts entry pointing the machine name to 127.0.1.1, do
you know what adds that? Is it juju? Without that entry, it also works.